Education & OutreachWorking with Hertfordshire’s schools has always been a key aspect of the project’s plan as the founding members work in, or closely with, local schools. The team are also forging links with further education in the form of the University of Hertfordshire’s history department.
We are pleased to be able to offer bespoke outreach sessions in at your school or group headquarters for all ages and tailored to suit your desired outcomes or learning criteria. Sessions can be booked as individually or as whole day events. In order to book a school or community group outreach slot please contact us here
Our aim is to provide:
- Original Teaching Materials - These will include short schemes of work focused on different aspects of Hertfordshire’s story during the war both on the home front and the fighting front for use at Key Stage 3. These will be available free of charge from the website.
- Local History Days - These will involve team members coming in to school to provide a day of workshops focused around different aspects of the war and teaching the skills of a professional historian. Workshop options will include artefact handling and research of individual soldiers based on original documents.
- Object Handling Sessions - Tailored talks for groups and organisations, targeted to a broad age and interest range where the public will have the opportunity to handle original artefacts, learn about the day-to-day life of a British 'tommy' and try original WW1 home recipes.
- Interpretation Sessions- A series of open sessions where members of the public can bring in photographs, medals, memorabilia, family letters and artefacts to be identified by experts. We will also run workshops to teach the techniques associated with this kind of interpretation.
- Research Workshops - A series of regular talks and workshops by guest speakers with expertise in military research and genealogy. Focussing on finding and interpreting military records and using contemporary sources to build up a picture of a serviceman or woman's military career.